10 Ways to Raise a Reader
"Bold Steps to Brilliance"
The love for reading and your child's success as a reader begins at home before they start attending school. Here are ten tip you can promote reading in the home - apply those that works best for you and your family.
1) Read to your child everyday.
2) Animate your voice and actions, while reading. Have fun with it and keep it interesting.
3) Spend time pointing out the illustrations on the cover page. Ask predictive questions based on what you both notice on the cover.
4) Carry a book when on the go with your child, you never know when a good book comes in handy.
5) Create a low-shelf library in your hold for your child so they can easily see and reach for it.
6) Ask open-ended questions while before, while, and after reading the book. Questions like: "What do you think is going to happen next? What does this word mean? What was your favourite part of the story?
7) Avoid reading with your child when s/he is tired, hungry, or bored. It best read to your child when you both are engaged and in a good mood.
8) While reading point to objects in the illustrations and name them.
9) Give your child some time to go through the book at their pace, even if they are only looking at the pictures
10) Let your child seeing your read different materials daily, such as magazines, books, newspapers etc.